Monday 20 January 2014

Shadows of Death by Jeanne M. Dams

Shadows of DeathShadows of Death by Jeanne M. Dams
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This my first Dorothy Martin mystery and may well be my last. I have stretched the rating to 3 stars, but to be very honest I struggled to stay the course. Written in the first person it is an unusual read, styled like a Miss Marple type mystery, and very slow pace with minimal excitment. Dorothy and her husband retired policeman Alan Nesbit travel to the Orkneys on holiday and get involved in a mysterious death. The whole story is set against the background of the islands neolithic history. The story is okay but lacks any real punch, dwelling too much on their dog Watson. The dog has no relevance that merits the attention given, although it does seek out two clues during the investigation. In summary I have been generous with 3 stars, but believe it will suit some readers looking for a mystery without thrills - not my choice.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment